Clean living is all about detoxing and keeping toxins at bay. These toxins can harm our bodies and lead to chronic disease over time. Whether it’s the water you drink, the food you eat, the household cleaners you use, or even the clothing you wear, all of these things can have some level of toxicity. Deciding to “go clean” means you want to live a toxin-free life as much as possible.
It isn’t just a fad; it is a way of life that more and more people are catching on to for pursuing a healthier life. It can sound intimidating or daunting to make the lifestyle shift. But those who stick with it and start with one thing at a time are well on their way to living the cleanest, most toxin-free life they’ve ever lived.
If you’ve been exploring the idea of living a clean lifestyle and eating a clean diet and need some ideas to start you off, you have landed in the right place. Here are some ideas to help you get started.
● Make your drinking water clean: One of the easiest ways to detox your life is by drinking clean, filtered water. Invest in a high-quality water filter to remove toxins like chlorine and lead from your drinking water. You can also use reusable water bottles instead of plastic bottles, which can contain harmful chemicals.
If you want to see what kind of toxins are in your local water source this tap water database has tested samples all across the country. The info is a couple of years outdated, but it is still a great place to start for information about the toxicity of our drinking water.
● Try cooking with cast iron: Non-stick pans and pots can release toxins when heated, so try using cast iron cookware instead. Cast iron is durable, affordable, and chemical-free. It even adds a boost of iron to your food!
● Start cooking more from scratch: If you cook it, you know what’s in it. Processed foods can contain additives and preservatives that are harmful to your health. Try cooking more meals from scratch using whole, natural ingredients.
● Use non-toxic household cleaners: Many household cleaners contain harmful chemicals that can affect your health. Look for natural, non-toxic cleaning products that use ingredients like vinegar, baking soda, and essential oils. You can even make your own cleaning solutions with these ingredients!
● Use non-toxic laundry detergents: Laundry detergents and fabric softeners can contain harmful chemicals like phthalates and formaldehyde. Look for detergents that are free of these toxins, or consider using natural alternatives like soap nuts or wool dryer balls.
● Change to non-toxic hygiene products such as toothpaste, shampoos, and deodorants: Many personal care products contain ingredients like parabens and phthalates that can disrupt your hormones and cause health problems. Look for natural options that use ingredients like coconut oil, baking soda, and tea tree oil.
● Break a sweat every week: Exercise is essential for detoxing your body and boosting your mood. Find an activity you enjoy, whether it’s running, yoga, or weightlifting, and aim to sweat at least three times a week.
Know that it is possible, and you can reduce your exposure to harmful chemicals and improve your overall health and well-being. Remember, every small step counts and is a step in the right direction!